Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment option for a variety of musculoskeletal diseases in horses.
The ESWT device generates acoustic/pressure waves (shockwaves) of extremely high pressure and velocity that are focused at a specific, targeted tissue within the body.
Some of the conditions for which ESWT is indicated are:
- Desmopathies (inflammation of ligaments)
- Tendinopathies (tendon inflammation)
- Bone exostosis (bone spurs)
- Stress fractures (e.g. cannon bone)
- Navicular disease
- Osteoarthritis (e.g. hocks)
- Sore backs, among other conditions.
Number of treatments: 1-5 (usually 3) depending on the type of condition/disease.
Treatment intervals: 3-21 days (depending on the type of condition/disease).
Rest: usually 2 days rest followed by hand-walks (depends on the condition, individual response, adjunct therapies and physical rehabilitation).